How to Choose a Garage Door’s Color to Match the Design Scheme of a House
Since we see and process color at rapid speeds, the color of your garage door is one of the first things a person will notice when looking at your home. It’s an important detail, to be sure, but choosing a color for your custom garage door is also one of the most exciting parts of the design process.
A Quick Note About Working with Wood
One of the best reasons to get a wooden garage door over other types of materials is because of how easy it is to get any color door that you want. Although wood has its own natural coloring, the material is also easy to paint any color you can imagine. If you are in the process (or about to start the process) of designing a custom garage door, here are a few tips to help you choose the right color.
Is Paint or Stain Better for Garage Doors?
The first major decision is whether to choose a paint color or stain your garage door. There is no best choice (it heavily relies on preference), but there are still a few objective pros to either choice.
- Painting opens you up to more color options
- Staining brings out the natural color and look of the wood
Both will last you roughly the same amount of time before needing to be touched up, so lifespan shouldn’t be a factor in your decision.
How to Choose the Right Color for Your Garage Door
Once you have decided between paint and stain, it’s time to pick out a color for your garage door. There are several things you should keep in mind when choosing a color:
- The colors present on your home: everything from your roofing to your siding, trim, shutters, entry doors, etc. should play a part in choosing a color for your garage door. You can choose a color that matches them or contrasts them.
- Your neighborhood: if you want your home to fit in with the others in your neighborhood, choose a color that is in common with other homes near you. If you want to stand out, have fun and choose a color and make statement.
- Bold or blend: do you want your garage door to be the highlight of your home? If so, choose a bold color that stands out. If you prefer that your door blends in with your home, choose a color that is similar to the colors present on your home.
Most Importantly, Choose a Color that You Love
Always remember that it’s your home. You see it every day and you have to live in it! Choose the color that you personally love the most. Need help with color or any other design aspect of your garage door? Contact the garage door experts at Cambek today.